Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Meditatio (Meditation)

Continuing from our last post, Luther discusses meditation in his three-fold method to study theology: Second, you should meditate. This means not only in your heart but also extrnally you should constantly handle and compare, read and reread the Word as preached and the very words as writtenin Scripture, diligently noting and meditationg on what the Holy Spirit means. ...Therefore, you observe how in this psalm David always says that he will speak, think, talk, hear, read, day and night and constantly - but about nothing else than God's Word and Commandments. For God wants top give you His Spirit only through the external Word (from What Luther Says: An Anthology compiled by Ewald M. Plass).

Psalm 119
11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart,
that I might not sin against thee.
15 I will meditate in thy precepts,
and have respect unto thy ways.
48 My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments,
which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.
24 Thy testimonies also are my delight and my counsellors.
47 And I will delight myself in thy commandments,
which I have loved.
93 I will never forget thy precepts:
for with them thou hast quickened me.
97 O how love I thy law!
it is my meditation all the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment